Pollen Counts Over Texas

The Texas Allergy, Asthma and Immunology is proud to have several members who are affiliated with the National Allergy Bureau. These are allergists who take time to analyze air samples for what is currently in the air that could be affecting their patients. They then report their findings to the National Allergy Bureau website that you can access through www.aaaai.org/nab.

Pollens can vary in their occurrence depending on the time of year. In general, you can expect to have problems from these pollens if you are allergic to them. In Texas, the amount of pollen you may be exposed to may vary a great deal. For instance, people who live in Austin have a terrible time from Cedar starting in late December whereas those who live in El Paso may suffer from high mulberry counts later in the Spring. Grass generally pollinates from March through July and then also in September and October. Finally, Ragweed tends to be a problem for most allergic patients in September and October.

A board-certified or board –eligible allergist can help define for you what may be bothering you and thus help you make your plans for your season. Staying indoors with the doors and windows closed is the easiest but often the most inconvenient. Your allergist can make other recommendations to improve your quality of life. For more information about allergists in your area, look us up on the web at www.taais.org.

The Texas Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Society (TAAIS) is a group of more than 220 board-certified Allergists/Immunologists in Texas.

An Allergist/Immunologist is a physician, usually an Internist or Pediatrician, who has had special training and experience in the field of Allergy and Immunology and who is considered to be an expert in the diagnosis and management of immune system disorders such as asthma, allergic rhinitis (hay fever), eczema, urticaria (hives), drug reactions, food allergies, immune deficiencies, and all general aspects of anaphylaxis.

A Board Certified Allergist/Immunologist is a physician who has passed the certifying examination of the American Board of Allergy and Immunology. A list of Board Certified Allergists can be found here. Those with “ABAI” under Board Certification are Board Certified Allergists/Immunologist.